There are hundreds of thousands of amazing designs in the Spoonflower Marketplace, so it’s easy to spend hours scanning through pages of beautiful artwork! If you’re looking for something specific though, narrowing down your options can make it much easier to find exactly what you need.
There are a few things that make searching our site even easier including: using descriptive phrases, selecting a search category, using filters, and getting creative with your search terms.
Using Descriptive Phrases
If you’re not sure exactly what you’re looking for you may want to start out searching for a single color or design element. For example, here are the results for the word ‘yellow’:
Here are the results for the word ‘deer’:
If you have a very specific design in mind, you’ll want to use as many descriptive search terms as you can think of. For example, the search term ‘arrows’ will yield very different results than ‘black and white arrow drawing’. You can see how different the results are below.
Selecting a Search Category
Another great search feature is the search categories menu. These categories help narrow down your search, allowing you to weed out things you aren’t looking for. To use this feature, click the small arrow beside the search bar, select the appropriate category, then enter a search term.
The categories include:
- Fabric--designs in the Spoonflower Marketplace that are available on fabric.
- Wallpaper--designs in the Spoonflower Marketplace that are available on wallpaper.
- Gift wrap--designs in the Spoonflower Marketplace that are available on gift wrap.
- Designers--designers (by screen name or real name).
- Collections--collections of designs in a designers shop.
Once you enter a search term into the search bar and click “GO” you will be directed to a new page with search filters. In the example below you can see all of the search filters that appear after you complete a search.
The search filters include:
- Fabric--allows you to see designs available on fabric, wallpaper, or gift wrap.
- Browse--allows you to browse by popular tags, trending designs, best selling designs, top contest designs, and daily favorites.
- Colors--allows you to search by color.
- Availability--allows you to search for designs that are for sale or not for sale.
- Filters--allows you to search within designs you have favorited or designers you are connected to (a.k.a. designers you follow).
- View--allows you to see either the design image, a picture of the fabric, or a project made with the fabric.
- Sort by--allows you to sort the search results by bestselling, trending, or most recently uploaded designs.
Getting Creative with Your Search Terms
If you try searching for a specific design, but don’t find what you’re looking for, try some other related words to vary your search results. For example, when the phrase ‘antique flowers’ didn’t show the kind of flower I was looking for, I tried getting a little more creative with my wording and searched for ‘antique red poppies’.
Some other helpful search tips:
To match an exact phrase, use quotes to define what you are looking for, i.e. ‘blue china.’ This is a great way to find an exact design for which you already know the name or title.
If you would prefer to just look at designs that are a match for both 'blue' and 'china' (not one or the other), you can type it as follows in the search bar: 'blue and china' or '+blue +china.'
If you are searching for 'old brick wall,' the first results returned will be a match for all three words 'old,' 'brick,' and 'wall.' As your scroll down the returned search results, you will begin to see designs that are a match for just two of the words, perhaps ‘brick’ and ‘wall’ and eventually, designs that might be a match for just one of the words.
As with everything on Spoonflower, if you’re having trouble finding something specific or need help searching for an item, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we are happy to help!