Today kicks off the first day of our second annual 12 Days of Design! We're delivering 12 days of design tips directly to your inbox to help you create your first, or next, textile design! If you haven't signed up, it's not too late--sign up now!
Sometimes the hardest part of fabric design is just getting started. It's common to feel completely uninspired, but luckily there are a million ways to get the creative juices flowing! We'll start this year's series by sharing our favorite places and ways to find inspiration. How do you get inspired? Please share in the comments below!
1. Visit a downtown: Hit the streets in a urban area to be inspired by the city buzz and bright lights!
2. Plan a trip to the zoo: Animals are the perfect subjects for your first (or next) fabric design.
3. Check out your local farmers market: Let the hard work and bountiful harvests of local farmers inspire you.
4. Go for a run or bike ride: Clear your head with a little fresh air.
5. Spend time at a museum: What better place to find inspiration than a place filled with historical creatures, beautiful paintings and creepy crawlies!
6. Your neighborhood coffee shop: Spend the afternoon sipping on a warm up of coffee and taking in the inspiring tastes, smells, and views at your local coffee shop.
7. Go for a long drive: Get behind the wheel and let your daily thoughts and cares go as you dream up an exciting textile design.
8. Relax with friends and family: The best ideas can come during a break--so take a few minutes to relax and chat with friends.
9. Look through old photos: Reminisce about the good ol' days and create a beautiful design inspired by loved ones or a great adventure!
10. Visit a handmade market: Check out what other creatives in the area are making and what they use to motivate their work.